VM setup from dual boot

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Fri May 13 08:30:11 UTC 2011

On 13 May 2011 08:49, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> I looked at those, but I got the impression you need a full VMWare
> installed and running to go that path.
I haven't checked the instructions posted but VMWare's stand-alone
conversion utility does not require much to go. You need to install
the utility on a machine to act as a server and the client. Then it
does its work, creates a VMWare virtual machine. You can use the
created disk image with VirtualBox relatively easily. That's something
I do pretty regularly (although I export the VM out of our ESX server
usually, then remove all VMWare-related software / devices and install
any VirtualBox stuff). One weird problem I've been having is with ESX
+ CentosOS5 to CentOS 5 + Virtualbox transition using this treatment
is CentOS losing its working Xorg.conf configuration once in a while
but that's not the fault of any Ubuntu environment!