Grub2 use user friendly(er) names

FireSam ubuntu at e17th.com
Thu May 12 20:27:26 UTC 2011

> But since you asked about using Label to boot, the following works too.
>

> search --no-floppy --label --set=root xxx
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3x-xx-generic root=LABEL=xxx ro
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.3x-xx-generic
>
> Regards - Goh Lip
>

> I am sorry for  not being clear.
I want it to work exactly like it does. I want to ADD that in the menu list
it calls it by the label name but uses the uuid to select. In other words I
want it to list it as "linux xx generic etc.. on LABEL  (sdd3)" adding the
label for user frienliness. I have a few installations bec i sometimes use a
32 bit laptop and some times use 64-bit and i have a more stable install and
one where i experiment. I use different external drives so sometimes sdd is
sdb and sda etc..

Thanks.