<OT> Re: 1/2 dozenth request over 3-years

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:59:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 06:58 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 5/12/2011 4:07 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > thanks, I don't remember what 9 pin'ers say anymore.
>
> I'm amazed either of you remember any of that.  The only thing I can
> remember is modems because that sounds is etched in my head like a nail
> hitting the chalk board.

Heh, I had 9 modems running full time, on an 8 line BBS, back in the
day. Pure Linux command line login, too. The extra modem was on a
dedicated WideArea Line to Charleston WV from Beckley WV. That got me,
and my users, a connection to the Internet. Imagine all of them
squawking, answering the phone lines at once. I had rollover installed
to take the callers on the same number rolling over to the next
available one and it's modem. A 14.4 connection, using only text, was
fast. And, I ran that on a 486 with 32 megs of memory. Then someone came
up with PPP and it all got weird. Nothing was easy, nor cheap, after
that! :) Ric

Linux user# 44256