How to implement power save mode in WiFi Adhoc

jorge miguel gallo jmiguel_gallo at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 10:25:12 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I am having problems when trying to set power saving modes in a Wifi Adhoc network.

The 802.11 standard says that in order to save power stations can sleep and wake up every beacon interval in order to check if there is information for them and if not they will go back to sleep mode.

Since both, beacon interval and timeout, are parameters of iwconfig I thought I could change them. But when trying to set these parameters it says:
:~$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 power period 2

     Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :

     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

iw command doesn't work either.

I use Ubuntu 10.10 - Maverick Meerkat  with an Intel 3945ABG wireless card and iwl3945 driver.

Can anybody give me a tip?

Jorge.