11.04 - sound works fine EXCEPT with Flash

Edgars Šmits ed.smits at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:44:29 UTC 2011

Weird problem - installed (clean) 11.04 32 bit on my wife's laptop.
Sound works fine with VLC etc., but when using Firefox 4.01 (she
doesn't like Chrome) and running a youtube etc there is no sound.
Compared what she had to my own laptop, everything seems to be there.
Reinstalled flashplugin-installer, no change. Noticed there is a new
item under Sound Preferences - Applications, and when I play a flash
video it says ALSA plugin - npviewer.bin while the flash is running,
but when I checked my wifes Sound Preferences there was nothing while
running flash, except I could see a "flash" of text every 10 seconds
or so that said ALSA plugin - npviewer.bin, so the links are obviously
there, it just doesn't last.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance

ED