[11.04]-Incrementally Backup HDD to HDD Software?

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed May 11 13:48:46 UTC 2011

On 11/05/11 01:48, Jesse Palser wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 07:39 PM, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 19:00 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
>>> [11.04]-Incrementally Backup HDD to HDD Software?
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't like RAID.
>>>
>>> I have a three hard drive desktop system:
>>> Drive A(internal): OS and programs
>>> Drive B(internal): Personal files
>>> Drive C(external): Backup of Drive B
>>> Is there some software in "Ubuntu Software Center" (11.04)
>>> that could do an incremental backup from drive B to drive C?
>> Look at rsync. Another option if you want to keep some history is
>> pdumpfs or one of its variants like glastree.
> Hi,
>
> Thanks, I installed "luckyBackup" which is a GUI for this rsync.
>
> Jesse

Jesse,
I use for over a year now backuppc. It is in the repositories. It is
somewhat difficult to get started but there is an excellent guiding
through. I use it to backup each night on an external 1 TB drive and it
keeps incremental backups of 1 week (that is my setting you can make
intervals as you like). You can backup as many systems as you like.
The administration  interface( in your browser) is excellent. It gives
you just all the information you need. Reinstalling is a breeze as you
can do it per file (or directory or directory tree).
It is one of the few products that you install and forget.
I can recommend it strongly.(my 0.02€).
Joep