ppa directory disappeared

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Tue May 10 22:06:20 UTC 2011

On 10/05/11 19:37, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 06:14 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> On 10/05/11 14:09, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>>> It's absolutely up to the author what versions of Ubuntu he/she supports
>>> when it comes to PPA.  They are not confined to the support requirements
>>> of Canonical.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it just happens that they accidentally do it though.  There
>>> have been times I've emailed and asked an author why such is such and
>>> they admit it was a mistake and fix it pretty quickly so I would
>>> certainly suggest (again) you contact him/her and see if it was intended
>>> or accidental.
>>>
>> Nils&  Jordan,
>> Thanks for the reply. I now see that it is on;y the gnokii packages that
>> are discontinued for AMD-64. However, I have a nokia phone and use that
>> package daily so I will follow the suggestion of Jordan and mail the author.
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Joep
>>

> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnokii
> 0.6.28 is still avaliable for lucid from the standard repos.
> More ppa's here:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=gnokii
> but I wouldn't recommend playing with those unless you know/trust the
> author.
>
> You might also want to ask on the gnokii mailing list:
> http://www.gnokii.org/support.shtml
>
> Given that you use Thunderbird, just use
> nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.gnokii

Gary,
Just came home and started reading. Thanks for the suggestions. I mailed
Pavel Kot (the developer) and he mailed that it is not packaged by him
but by the Ubuntu packager so they should package it but the whole
packaging system is a mystery to me. Who does what and where etc.
I will follow your suggestions I would also like to know if there is any
chance to integrate gnokii (or gnome-phone-manager) with Thunderbird. I
have Xgnokii running but it will not show my calendar entries and there
are many more of that kind of problems!
I am almost at the point that I even envy Windows users who plug in
their phone and hey-presto it connects magically without any fuss and
shows all entries just as you would like ! See how desperate I am!!
Joep