Why gnome-terminal menu bar is missing?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue May 10 20:56:25 UTC 2011

On 10 May 2011 21:44, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know what is unity. But here is my startup file. I don't think
>>> that I'm using it.
>>
>> As I said previously, if you have a row of pretty buttons down the
>> left side of the screen then you are using Unity, if you have a row of
>> menus across the top (Applications, Places, System) then you are using
>> the Classic interface.  On the logon screen, on the page where you
>> enter the password, you can select which you want to use from a select
>> list at the bottom of the screen.  Selecting Ubuntu gives you the
>> Unity interface.
>
> Then I think that I'm using the Unity interface. (This is the default
> for natty, right? As I don't change anything after upgrading to
> natty.)

As I keep saying, if you see the buttons down the left hand side you
are using Unity, if you have the Applications, Places, System menus
across the top then you are using classic, whether you have changed
anything is irrelevant.

> Why Unity interface can affect vnc? How to get the menu back of
> gnome-terminal in vnc?

I don't know whether there are issues using vnc with Unity, but if you
get the remote user to logon using the Classic desktop, by selecting
that on the screen where the password is entered when logging on, then
you should be ok.

Colin