Passwords?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue May 10 13:36:57 UTC 2011

On 10 May 2011 14:00, Barbara Tobias <barbtobias09 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the problem is that you have entered a password for your
> keyring, which is not normally necessary.  I think this may help:
> http://davestechsupport.com/blog/2009/01/16/how-to-remove-ubuntus-password-keyring/
>
> Colin
>
>        I followed these instructions, removing only the default
>        password.  Now there seems to be no password required at all.
>        That is probably okay, as the computer is not accessible to
>        anyone else anyway normally.  But I would like to know where to
>        look to learn more about passwords on Ubuntu.  Preferably in
>        relatively non-technical language :-)

To require a login at startup then if using the Classic window manager
(with menus at the top) go to System > Administration > Login Screen,
click Unlock and enter your password then select 'Show the screen for
choosing who will login'.  If using Unity then click on the power off
icon in the top right and select System Settings, then Login Screen
under System, then as above.

Colin