Unity ROCKS not!!!

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue May 10 05:58:35 UTC 2011

On 05/10/2011 01:06 AM, Ernest Doub wrote:

/snip/
>> But then, there's a whole bunch of stuff Mac OS X doesn't do that
>> Windows does, any yet, it's an entirely usable OS.
> /snip/
I've seen a number of more-or-less appreciative comments here relative
to the Mac gui, and apparently Ubuntu is aiming in that direction.  It
should be remembered that the Mac is aimed at a specific audience,
which it admittedly serves very well:  that is the writing and publishing
industry, with its corollaries layout and print design.  I am not a Mac
user, so there may be other things that it does fairly well, but I don't
ever remember hearing of any scientific applications designed for it.
Where is the AutoCad, the Pro-E, the Agilent EEsof, etc.?  I suppose it
must
have a spreadsheet--it has the Microsoft Office suite--but that's almost
a second thought.  And have you ever heard of anyone seriously writing
code on a Mac?  Or using one as a digital controller?  Or a server?
Sure, Linux
has to catch up with some of these types of things, but it has not painted
itself into a corner, like Mac seems to have. If the Mac were anywhere near
as versatile as Windows, it wouldn't be sitting with only 10% or so of the
market.  So why is Ubuntu trying so hard to emulate Mac? Huh?

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley