Screen Fade - frequent lose of window control

ANDY sirald66 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 22:28:46 UTC 2011

DELL LATITUDE D600
UBUNTU 9.10 +proposed
GNOME 2.28.1
COMPIZ 1:0.8.4-0ubuntu2.1
FIREFOX 3.6.17

Since I've used Ubuntu (8.x), I've had the sometimes frequent problem of
Firefox fading the window to a transparent-gray as it goes off into space
for awhile, then returns.  I thought it was a resource problem (1.5/Ghz
single core, 768/MB) and it may well be, but system monitor graphs don't
usually show a cpu or memory spike.

As I look to diagnose this, I need ideas on where to start.  Hardware,
linux, Ubuntu, window manager and/or Firefox related?  And I need a more
accurate description than 'screen fade' if I'm searching down a bug/issue.

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US