Unity ROCKS not!!!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:36:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 19:43 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 8 May 2011 00:21, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> >>It's pathetic and it's childish.
> >>
> >>Just deal with it, learn the new, and move on.
> >

> > Expressing an opinion, in life and in a mailing list, is never pathetic or
> > childish. Our talking about it is how we deal with it. This is how people do
> > this sort of thing.
>
> I'm not saying that expressing the opinion is childish.
>
> I'm saying that the opinion itself is childish.
>
> > If enough of us find Unity is a step backwards, then maybe something is
> > wrong with the direction Ubuntu is headed.
>
> Who says it's anything to do with existing users?
>
> ISTM that it's an attempt to simplify the GUI, make it more
> phone/tablet-like, to win /new/ users. If the current ones don't like
> it, well, tough.
>
> There are a billion-odd Windows users out there to convert. 99.9% or
> so of the world's computer users run Windows. THEY are the target, not
> present Ubuntisti.
>

> > If enough of us find Unity useful
> > or even better than gnome, then Ubuntu is going the right way.
>
> Honestly? If every existing user deserted, so long as more new ones
> came on board then left, I don't think they'd mind at all.
>
> > We are after all, the users and supporters and maintainers of Ubuntu.
> > Shouldn't we be allowed to voice our opinions?
>
> Well, yes, sure. But this is not a democracy. Never was. It's a
> dictatorship, under a self-appointed dictator-for-life. Happily,
> though, he is a benevolent one.
>
> > Without us, Ubuntu would become another abandoned fork.
>
> Not if a hundred million new users descended on it, no.

But that does abandon the old "Meritocracy" concept, where the search of
the "Right Thing" is the Holy Grail, as those of higher merit occupy the
higher rungs of Power and Authority. And, like the Good Parent Model,
Power and Authority has attendant and equal amount of Responsibility
towards those who are held subject to higher powers.

But, telling some one of a different perspective to fark off, if they
don't like things, is to completely devalue the person, if not just the
relationship. OTOH, that goes for both sides of the relationship coin.
So, if someone occupies the higher rungs of the Meritocracy, maybe we
could consider that they just might know something that we don't. You
know, "give the Devil his due". Hopefully, some sense of moderation and
accommodation can be found in the middle ground. As it is, I can just
hold back to 10.4 and enjoy life as it is. There is, thankfully, always
that. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256