Unity ROCKS not!!!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:59:58 UTC 2011

On 8 May 2011 17:50, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon at decoulon.ch> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 May 2011 06:20:58 pm Douglas S. Saylor wrote:
>> But take away one panel from their distro of choice and replace with a
>> new dock, and the screams of outrage can be heard from the next
>> continent over. "This is oppression, this isn't a democracy, we are
>> being punished, how dare they," etc. etc. ad nauseam.
>>
>> > It's pathetic and it's childish.
>
> It's not. _you_ find it pathetic and childish so _you_ are telling others to
> shut up. I agree there may be better to say it, but saying it is OK.

I'm telling them to grow up, not shut up. :¬)

>> > Just deal with it, learn the new, and move on. That's what adults do.
>> > Behave like a grown up not a three-year-old whose toy has been taken
>> > away.
>>
>> Well said!
>
> I find both wrong. It's not oppression, but it sure is not democracy.

Never was. Never claimed to be. Anyone who ever said it was didn't
know what they were talking about.

You know the Dean Martin quote: "It's Frank's world. You and me, baby,
we just live in it." (Speaking of Sinatra.)

Well, we Ubuntisti, we live in Mark's world. It's not ours and we
don't even have much of a say in it. It's Mark's baby. He's paying,
he's in charge. He is on a mission: to bring Linux to the masses. It
is a truth universally acknowledged that the way to do this is to make
it simpler and easier, and that is the plan with Unity. To take Ubuntu
away from being a slightly-weird-bit-like-Windows-only-different
desktop to something colourful, easy and accessible, like an iPad.

> No one
> asked the "users" what they want,

Nope, because the users don't really know.

> "someone" was bright enough to "find out"
> what "the majority" wants and impose it to everyone (or at least make it
> relatively difficult not to use it).

What majority? Where? This is, in essence, an experiment - trotting
along behind Apple, taking the paths that have worked well for them.

> If you like a distribution and it's not going the way you like, just shutting
> your mouth and following in silence is neither "grown up" nor adult, it's
> _stupid_ (and I'll never do it). There are alternatives. What's adult to do
> is:

Good for you. 'Bye, then!

> a) let the people know they don't like it

Why? Why should they care? You're not a paying customer. You're a
freeloader. We all are.

> b) if they don't listen go their own way (or of course change it if they are
> able to)

You are entirely free to run anything you want; nobody is trying in
any way to prevent you.

> What (some) people people are doing on this list is a); Unfortunately, having
> gone through this previously on a KDE list, I fear it's useless. And the same
> will happen on all Gnome-related lists given what Gnome 3 is.

When a new generation of a product comes out, yes, generally, the old
one is killed off. This is not a big surprise.

Some people wanted to keep KDE3 alive 'cos they didn't like KDE4. It
failed, pretty much. The same may happen with GNOME 2 versus 3. It
will fail too, probably.

> My answer is: go look somewhere else: there are light desktops that can
> satisfy some, keep 10.10 (or less) with Gnome 2 or use 11.04 with Gnome 2,
> run Trinity-KDE 3 on 10.10, or take a look at KDE 4.6: it's taken 5 years and
> it's still bloated but it (really and with quite a lot of customising) starts
> to be usable. Try SuSE or Mepis 11.

Why move? What is so difficult about adjusting?

> A big question is the future of Gnome 2.

Is it? Really? Why? I see no question. GNOME 2 doesn't have a future.
GNOME has a future, and for now, it's GNOME 3. GNOME 2 is history.

> The KDE team decided to kill KDE 3
> early to force KDE 4 acceptation.

Kill it how? By no longer supporting a superseded piece of code? Well
what else should they do?

> Will the Gnome team do the same? Early
> talks said no, but I can't find any recent infos about that. As long as Gnome
> 2 is maintained, there can be an Ubuntu-Gnome 2 release, that is _if_ anyone
> can/is willng to  do it.

Why would a modern distro cling to outdated legacy code?

Seriously, I'm curious, why?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com