Unity ROCKS not!!!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:43:25 UTC 2011

On 8 May 2011 00:21, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>It's pathetic and it's childish.
>>
>>Just deal with it, learn the new, and move on.
>

> Expressing an opinion, in life and in a mailing list, is never pathetic or
> childish. Our talking about it is how we deal with it. This is how people do
> this sort of thing.

I'm not saying that expressing the opinion is childish.

I'm saying that the opinion itself is childish.

> If enough of us find Unity is a step backwards, then maybe something is
> wrong with the direction Ubuntu is headed.

Who says it's anything to do with existing users?

ISTM that it's an attempt to simplify the GUI, make it more
phone/tablet-like, to win /new/ users. If the current ones don't like
it, well, tough.

There are a billion-odd Windows users out there to convert. 99.9% or
so of the world's computer users run Windows. THEY are the target, not
present Ubuntisti.

> If enough of us find Unity useful
> or even better than gnome, then Ubuntu is going the right way.

Honestly? If every existing user deserted, so long as more new ones
came on board then left, I don't think they'd mind at all.

> We are after all, the users and supporters and maintainers of Ubuntu.
> Shouldn't we be allowed to voice our opinions?

Well, yes, sure. But this is not a democracy. Never was. It's a
dictatorship, under a self-appointed dictator-for-life. Happily,
though, he is a benevolent one.

> Without us, Ubuntu would become another abandoned fork.

Not if a hundred million new users descended on it, no.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com