Ubuntu 11.04 broke my MacBook Pro

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Sun May 8 13:50:12 UTC 2011

>Don't forget that it has long been possible to destroy a monitor
>by using incorrect settings.

That was always an issue when I was installing Linux not so long ago - the
installer would work fine and everything would go smoothly, but when the
machine rebooted to finish the install, it would stupidly set the refresh
rate to something higher than the monitor supported. I kept an old CRT
display around just so I could attach it and set the rate lower so my LCDs
could function.

I think high refresh rates are a legacy thing: used to be you wanted a high
rate for your expensive CRT.

Times change.