Shared files

bizdev at pwnspeak.com bizdev at pwnspeak.com
Sun May 8 01:53:26 UTC 2011

On 05/07/2011 11:28 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 7 May 2011 11:50, Roy Smith<rasmith1959 at live.com>  wrote:
>> Hi!  I have a situation that I'd like to get some suggestions about.
>> I'm setting up Ubuntu with a total of 5 user accounts (including
>> myself).  I also have around 20GB of music, video and photo files that I
>> would like each account to have access to.  Instead of each user account
>> having the same files in their user folder, I've though about setting up
>> a separate folder that everyone can access.  So what would be the best
>> security settings as far as Owner, Group and permissions would be to
>> allow everyone access to these files?
>
> You could set up a group and add all the users to that group, then
> give the group read only access (if that is what you want) to the
> shared folder.  Keep yourself as owner with read/write permissions.
>
> Colin

Yep, this one.

Make sure the users share the same GID, or belong to the same group
(media, music, users).  Then sym-link them the directories, or whatever
you would like.  Make sure the proper group perms are on the file in
case you want to prevent/grant permissions for these people to alter the
files.