Thunderbird Problem on Lucid - Any Experts?

Jeff G. connyank at cox.net
Sat May 7 23:27:18 UTC 2011

On 05/07/2011 03:08 PM, clintin at linuxmail.org wrote:
> I spent some time on the Thunderbird Comunity Forums searching for an
> answer and it appears a lot of people have had this issue without
> resolution.
>
> I really don't want to lose my inbox contents if I don't have too.
>
> Heres what happened. This morning, my MSN account decided to do a dump
> of all old email to Thunderbird, I interrupted it by pulling the network
> cable to stop the download, then proceeded to remove the "duplicate
> emails" (about 700 of them) and deleted them from deleted mail.

Where did the old mail come from?  Are you having pop3 mail remain on
the server?
And this just "happened"?
Edit>Account Settings>Disk Space
Do you have any settings for aging messages?
Edit>Account Settings>Server Settings
under server settings do you have leave messages on server set to a time
period?

Now, I
> can't receive or move any email messages into my msn inbox, getting the
> much feared mail box full message, I have tried deleting and compacting
> to no avail. I read on the Thunderbird Forum where people had gone as
> far as to remove their inbox and .msf files to no avail.
>
> Looking in account at lts-lucidlynx:~/.thunderbird/(profile).default/Mail$
> I see these folders:
>
> drwxr-xr-x 4 account account 4096 2010-05-01 13:14 Local Folders
> drwxr-xr-x 2 account account4096 2011-05-06 16:00 pop3.live-1.com
> drwxr-xr-x 3 account account4096 2011-05-07 15:55 pop3.live.com
> drwxr-xr-x 2 account account4096 2010-08-17 06:53 smart mailboxes
>
> I don't know what pop3.live-1.com is all about but observing that it is
> dated yesterday.

Do you use local folders (and is so, why?)

That -1 acct. is probably related to the use of "Smart folders" (unified
folders) (for this see
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox - I don't use this feature, its
never been of use to me and I've always considered the wording to be
rather obtuse.)  That -1 at the end of a News folder name can also show
up for entirely different reasons.

> I have a webmail account in the same copy of Thunderbird that I send and
> receive from and it is working fine.
>
> I really need some help on this or recommendations on where to find help.

go to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Phantom_folders and perform the actions
advised there.