Shared files

ssc1478 ssc1478 at aim.com
Sat May 7 14:40:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Roy Smith <rasmith1959 at live.com> wrote:
> Hi!  I have a situation that I'd like to get some suggestions about.
> I'm setting up Ubuntu with a total of 5 user accounts (including
> myself).  I also have around 20GB of music, video and photo files that I
> would like each account to have access to.  Instead of each user account
> having the same files in their user folder, I've though about setting up
> a separate folder that everyone can access.  So what would be the best
> security settings as far as Owner, Group and permissions would be to
> allow everyone access to these files?

You might want to look at setting up Samba shares.  You can define
shares in the smb.conf file.  Here's a snippet from mine:

[philpix]
   comment = Phil's Pictures
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = yes
   directory = /srv/samba/share/phil/Documents/pictures
   force user = phil

This would also allow sharing to other computers on your LAN.

Another possibility is setting permissions so that the other users
have read access to your pictures directory.  (I'm not an expert there
so can't give any examples.)

Phil