[Win98/Natty test install] Re: Grub not working

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 6 21:13:42 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 05:18 PM, chris wrote:
> Agreed, and when I think this through a bit further, I have never tried
> to detect a 98 partition with grub 2.  Only grub 1
> might throw 98 onto a partition this after noon and see what happens.
> Regards Chris

Out of curiosity & because I keep lots of old junk around, I decided to
give this a try. I have an old Sony 866Mhz/384MB machine with a 40GB
hard drive sitting around, so I . I went back & installed Win98 on it
(had the original oem CD, but had to find a product key on the internet
to get it to install). After first checking that Win98 installed
properly & was working[1], I popped in the most recent Natty 11.04
liveCD & elected to install at the menu.

o Installation detects the Win98 install and at the 'Allocate drive
space' screen shows: 'Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 95/98/Me'. I
elected this option & press 'Forward'.

o Next screen shows where I can allocate further drive space
(Win95/98/Me showing /dev/sda1 (fat32) 18.8 GB, Ubuntu showing /dev/sda2
(ext4) 21.3 GB) & elect to leave as defaults & press 'Install Now'. Off
it goes...

o Correctly detects my location, keyboard, username, password, etc
|'Forward'

o Installation complete... 'Restart Now'

o I get grub menu (version 1.99~rc1-13ubuntu3) showing:
Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-generic (recovery mode)
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
Windows 95/98/Me (on /dev/sda1)

All looks correct to me.

o Boot to Ubuntu first to ensure that is working... taking a very
loooong time, but it's a slow, low memory machine. GDM finally comes up
& I'm informed that I don't have the hardware to run Unity (expected),
continue & of course Ubuntu incorrectly determines my monitor & only
shows the bottom panel. I'm used to this, so I right click the bottom
panel and add "Main Menu" so that I can properly config the monitor
using System|Preferences|Monitors - done & I'm now set for 1024x768 @
85z. Reboot.

o This time I boot into "Windows 95/98/Me (on /dev/sda1)" & Win98 boots
& runs just fine. Reboot.

o Boot back into Ubuntu & copy boot_info_script055.sh over to the
machine. Run boot_info_script055.sh - the result is located at:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/604237/

$ sudo lshw
is located at:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/604240/

HTH

[1] I've no idea if WinME uses the same type MBR etc as Win98, but
figured that it might since Win2K - which I also could have installed -
went to NT & the boot loader calls for 'Windows 95/98/Me'.