Grub not working

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 02:36:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:

> Dave, try to manually boot Windows
>
> When booting up computer, press 'shift' key (to get to grub menu)
> At grub menu, press 'c' (to get to grub prompt "grub>")
> Type the following and press enter after each line
> insmod fat
> set root=(hd0,0)
> drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> If this doesn't boot, try with
>
> insmod fat
> set root=(hd0,1)
> drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> If this doesn't boot either, we'll have to ask Tom  :)

The only thing that Tom can say about the above is that he doesn't
think that it's possible to map a drive to a partition and vice versa
(there's also no "(hd0,0)" partition in grub2 AFAIK).

In the email that I've just sent in this thread, I said "chainload
WinME from grub2 as we've discussed earlier in this thread" but now
that I'm looking at this, I feel more strongly about installing grub2
to sda9 because "chainloader +1" means "look for a bootloader in the
first sector of root". In this case, it has to be (hd0), not (hd0,1),
because I don't think that the WinME bootloader can be elsewhere.