Grub not working

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu May 5 23:42:56 UTC 2011

On 05/06/2011 07:28 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 03:41 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
>> On 05/06/2011 06:33 AM, NoOp wrote:
>>> Cool. I reckon that will help Tom&   Goh sort out the rest. Good luck:-)
>>>

>> Cop out.  :)
>
> Clearly you failed to read the 1st level support agreement... I quote:
>
> "When you've no idea what to do next, pass the customer to 2nd level
> support in Asia or Europe, whichever is likely to be awake..."
>
> I also hope that you are wearing your 'lucky socks' this morning:
> http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

If you know what I'm wearing now, you'll throw up.  :)

.
.
.

> Also notice:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/603923/
> "Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc"
>
> Unknown BootLoader on sda1 has a grub error&  there is also an mbr on sda2.
> /dev/sda2          15,390,331    78,163,967    62,773,637   f W95 Ext d
> (LBA)

sda2 is extended partition, wonder how an mbr can get there.

> Plus there are errors in sda5:
> Boot sector info:  According to the info in the boot sector, sda5 starts
> at sector 63 but:
> /dev/sda5          15,390,333    30,748,409    15,358,077   b W95 FAT32
>
> At this point&  recommend backing up all the Win partitions, making
> /etc/grub.d/40_custom unexecutable&  reinstall grub2 to /dev/sda.

Yes, tend to agree with you. Let Dave try to boot up, and if all fails,
back up Wins data. The whole Wins partitions may be unusable. But let
Tom give the final rites.

Regards - Goh Lip