"The location is not a folder." error message

Edgars Šmits ed.smits at gmail.com
Thu May 5 19:16:46 UTC 2011

Just installed (fresh) 64 bit 11.04, so far no major complaints other than
that I tried out the Unity desktop and didn't like it, am back to Ubuntu
classic. However, I do have a weird problem. I'm running both Chromium and
Firefox, same error on both. I download a file, try to open it from within
the browser, and get an error message saying:

 Could not display "/home/username/downloads/filename.pdf". The location is
not a folder.

Yet if I click Open containing folder on either browser it opens the folder
and I can then run the file. Since it was a new clean install using my old
home directory I repointed both browsers to use the folder, same error.
Somewhere else on the Ubuntu site I read about something similar happening
with advice to reinstall Nautilus - did that, same error.

Any ideas? It's not a killer but just an inconvenience, as everything else
seems to be OK.

Thanks in advance

ED