Shotwell in Lucid

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Wed May 4 22:10:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 04 May 2011 14:02:13 -0700, rikona wrote:

> Running Lucid. Noticed Shotwell will be the default photo mgr in new
> releases - also looks pretty good, so thought I'd get a head start
> learning it. The Shotwell version in the repos is quite old [0.5]. There
> is a newer backport in a PPA that states NOT to use it because it is
> "guaranteed to break your computer". Hmmm...
>
> Has anyone running Lucid used a later version without 'breaking the
> computer'? If so, where was it?
>
> The PPA also backports several other pkgs - is this the reason it breaks
> stuff?
>
> If I do try the gamble, and it breaks stuff, how can I recover to where
> I was?
>
> Any other ideas to get a later version?

The Yorba PPA https://launchpad.net/~yorba/+archive/ppa contains a
version of Shotwell for Lucid that's the same as in Maverick (0.7.2)
Yorba http://yorba.org/shotwell/ is the organization that develops
Shotwell. You'd probably be better off using the versions from this PPA.

However, the Yorba Shotwell page also links to a FAQ which mentions this
PPA https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+archive/shotwell
as one that provides the very latest version, 0.9.3, for Lucid. The
biggest caveat with using this PPA to upgrade Shotwell is that it
replaces glib2.0. If you enter "apt-cache rdepends libglib2.0-0" in a
terminal, you'll quickly see why this is a library that you don't want to
update haphazardly. Practically everything on the system depends on it.
If it breaks, expect much pain. Also, it means you'll be dependent on
upon the PPA and not Ubuntu for updating glib if any security updates or
bug fixes become available for it.

--
sktsee