Shotwell in Lucid

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed May 4 21:09:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 14:02 -0700, rikona wrote:
> Running Lucid. Noticed Shotwell will be the default photo mgr in new
> releases - also looks pretty good, so thought I'd get a head start
> learning it. The Shotwell version in the repos is quite old [0.5].
> There is a newer backport in a PPA that states NOT to use it because
> it is "guaranteed to break your computer". Hmmm...
>
> Has anyone running Lucid used a later version without 'breaking the
> computer'? If so, where was it?
>
> The PPA also backports several other pkgs - is this the reason it
> breaks stuff?
>
> If I do try the gamble, and it breaks stuff, how can I recover to
> where I was?
>
> Any other ideas to get a later version?
>
> Thanks,

I've been running Shotwell since Lucid where I think it was offered to
try out as it was to be replacing F-Spot (which I never used) as the
default photo organiser in later releases.

It works OK in Maverick and Natty. The version in Lucid ran OK as well
so I see no reason why you need an updated version even if it is 'quite
old'.

Tony