Grub not working

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed May 4 18:43:08 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 02:15 AM, Goh Lip wrote:
> *to*
>
> insmod part_msdos
> insmod ext2
> set root='(/dev/sda,msdos8)'
> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
>    set gfxmode=640x480
>    load_video
>    insmod gfxterm
> fi

Sorry, Dave
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
should be
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And, if you are very very very sure that it is not grub-legacy, You can
start from the *Reboot into Ubuntu 11.04 (dev/sda8)* part. The part
above it is to make sure you use grub2. But no harm if you do it even if
you're on grub2.

I think it is your monitor resolution that your grub cannot assess.
So what we did is to set to low res of 640x 480.
You can check your res at grub prompt by
grub> vbeinfo

pipe output, it can be long.

Regards - Goh Lip