Fully compatible with Microsoft Office?

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Wed May 4 16:06:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 04 May 2011 13:37:24 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 18:55, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap at arumes.com>
> wrote:
>> There's a difference between "this thread" and "your message". The OP's
>> complaints about LibreOffice (and the following thread) are similar to
>> Dotan Cohen's complaints about Unity (and its following thread). And
>> your message may be considered as technical support, but it has nothing
>> to do with the OP's problems.
>>

> I'm the OP, and I've never complained about LibreOffice in this thread.

You're right, you were complaining about the description on ubuntu.com.

"From the ubuntu.com website: "Our office applications, for example,
are fully compatible with Microsoft Office and have everything you
need to create professional documents."
http://www.ubuntu.com/business/desktop/windows-compatible

Is this referring to LibreOffice? Some other office suite? LibreOffice
certainly is _not_ "fully compatible" with MS Office. It works pretty
good for most formatting on older MSO file formats, but anything
complex shows errors. Not to mention the newest MSO file formats, and
popular essential addons such as Mathtype."

> Furthermore, I'm Dotan Cohen and I've never complained about Unity.

"For all practical purposes, Unity is very limited in the way it can
be customized/personalized.  The top panel cannot be moved, hidden or
deleted, there is no way to add panels for say, creating your own
"launcher" (as I've done in Gnome).  Hitting the super key in Unity and
typing a few letters is the equivalent of what can be accomplished with
the Gnome-Do app.  There is a convoluted "menu" system that I'm still
trying to figure out how to efficiently get around in and the list goes
on and on."

English isn't my first language, so if you think there's a better term
for this than complaining, it's fine by me.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com