Install Ubuntu 10.04 from USB

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Wed May 4 11:32:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

I can't seem to install Ubuntu 10.04 (Netbook Remix) on my old Panasonic
Toughbook. Curious thing is, I already succeded once, a couple of months
ago. But then, I had to replace UNR by an install of Scientific Linux
(for demonstration purposes). Unfortunately, I didn't take any notes at
the time. I remember having used the mini.iso to boot the installer, and
then using my local cache (apt-cacher) to install everything. Here's
what I tried this morning.

Download the 12 MB mini.iso

On my main desktop PC :

# tail -f /var/log/messages

Plug in USB stick and notice device name. It gets automatically mounted,
so :

# umount /dev/sdc1

# cd /home/kikinovak/ISO

# dd if=mini.iso of=/dev/sdc

Let the writing process finish, unplug the USB key.

Plug it into the Panasonic laptop, make sure the BIOS is set to boot on
USB first.

"No Operating System found..."

Which leaves me clueless.

Any suggestions ?