Unity ROCKS not!!!

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 02:42:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Pastor JW
<pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:51:44 pm Ernest Doub wrote:
>>
>> This is the point where I as a NOOB user since 8.04 have to jump in.
>> All the arguments given in favor of UNITY are saying that it is coming
>> from a small screen viewpoint, it is more Android like, etc.
>> I DON'T WANT MY FULL FUNCTION DESKTOP TO SIMULATE THE RESTRICTIONS AND
>> LACK OF FUNCTIONALITY I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ON A TABLET DEVICE OR
>> SMARTPHONE. [capitalization for purpose of emphasis not intended as
>> yelling]
>
> AMEN!!! ...and yes I said that for emphasis too!

If Unity's interface is meant for a tablet or a smartphone, how come
OS X (with a similar look and feel) is used on 30-inch screens? Give
Unity a go without pre-conceived notions! It might have some rough
edges and it might have been more appropriate to default to it in
11.10 (that ship has sailed!) but, if you try it without any weird
bias, you'll find that it's pretty good. OS X's acknowledged by most
as having a user-friendly interface and it's unsurprising that both
Canonical and GNOME have both adopted a similar GUi.