(OT) Re: Unity ROCKS!!!

Isaac Hummel isaac at daedaleus.com
Tue May 3 20:43:01 UTC 2011

On 05/03/2011 10:37 AM, Justin Stanczak wrote:
> I think the momentum of an open source project the size of Android
> will be hard to beat. What would be the point? I'm saying Linux should
> ride the app developer wave of Android to make more apps for Linux. I
> would disagree about Linux not being mature. Businesses chase
> consumers. If the consumers use Android desktop apps, then businesses
> will follow. Phone app, or desktop app, what's the difference now a
> days. That line is getting blurred.

I never said Linux was not mature. I said the PC Operating System space
is mature. Android's success came from getting in near the beginning of
a new market: the true smartphone market. Just like with GUI PC OSs and
the Mac, Apple led the way with iPhone and iOS. This time around,
though, Android provided the open alternative (of course Android is open
source whereas Windows was and is not, but it was open in the sense that
you could run it on any IBM compatible PC and, I believe, they put fewer
restrictions on developers). In other words, Linux is competing in a
mature market and doesn't have the opportunity for explosive growth the
way Android does.

As for the rest, I second what Liam said. Also, why wouldn't they just
run their Android apps on Windows? Applications aren't native Linux
programs running directly on the processor. Their running on the Dalvik
virtual machine which is running on Linux, which means if and when they
make it easy to run Android apps on the desktop, there is no apparent
reason why they can't do it for Windows too (which is the vast majority
of the market).

--
Isaac Hummel
isaac at daedaleus.com