ssh session says updates are available but apt-get update;apt-get upgrade doesn't install any

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue May 3 19:10:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:40:11PM -0500, Brent Bolin wrote:
> Linux myth 2.6.32-31-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 8 18:25:51 UTC
> 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu!
>  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
> 0 packages can be updated.
> 0 updates are security updates.

This is accurate information.

> Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu!
>  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
> 37 packages can be updated.
> 13 updates are security updates.
>
> 37 packages can be updated.
> 13 updates are security updates.
> 37 packages can be updated.
> 13 updates are security updates.

This is outdated information.

> No mail.
> Last login: Tue May  3 12:32:23 2011 from brent-laptop
> root at myth:~# lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
> Release:	10.04
> Codename:	lucid
>
> Any ideas

I've no clue what caused this; I've been doing

  sudo rm /etc/motd.tail

on my servers to get rid of the repeated/outdated info.

I think something about an upgrade from a version that used update-motd
to a version that uses pam_motd is messed up.

Have you looked for bug reports on Launchpad?

Marius Gedminas
--
Redundancy is bad because it causes errors, and wastes resources. (Ed: Also I
think there's a commandment against it in the Bible. Or there was until they