Not so natty 11.04

Roger Reeves roger.reeves at redprop.co.uk
Tue May 3 18:04:18 UTC 2011

Whilst attempting to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 it all comes to a dead
halt during 'Setting New Software Channels' and presents a panel saying
'Distribution Upgrade Processes Exited with Code 1.' And the same on
each re-try and no further.
I'm not sure what Code 1. is, being an ageing newbie.
10.10 continues to  function but now KPackageKit is telling me I have
1,522 updates to download!
Has anyone experienced similar and, if so, found the solution?
Please help me to get out of this hole before Natty Narwhal makes me a
Nutty Nematode?
Thanks in advance.
Roj