Aptitude--any users!

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Tue May 3 09:35:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 16:41, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 22:45, James Freer <jessejazza at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> That said, I always use aptitude, not apt-get. Upgrades and dependency
>>> hell are handled much better.

this is true - and the logging is the much better. In fact, if I'm not
mistaken, apt-get is deprecated for aptitude.

Personally, as someone that works as a sysadmin and sees it daily, I
am pretty sure that despite the deprecation for some reason (even on
Ubuntu) every time you try to run something that isn't installed, the
message is "Please apt-get install foo" instead of the more correct
"aptitude install foo".

Note: I'm aware that the idea of "correctness" in this regard is like
saying that toilet paper has directionality, but I stand by my claim
given the "deprecation".

cheers
L.