Fully compatible with Microsoft Office?

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Tue May 3 00:32:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 3 May 2011 01:18:59 +0200 (CEST)
Amedee wrote:

> On Thu, April 28, 2011 13:24, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >>From the ubuntu.com website: "Our office applications, for example,
> > are fully compatible with Microsoft Office and have everything you
> > need to create professional documents."
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/business/desktop/windows-compatible
> >
> > Is this referring to LibreOffice? Some other office suite?
> > LibreOffice certainly is _not_ "fully compatible" with MS Office.
> > It works pretty good for most formatting on older MSO file formats,
> > but anything complex shows errors. Not to mention the newest MSO
> > file formats, and popular essential addons such as Mathtype.
>
> Sometimes an Excel or Word file gets corrupted at work, and because
> the helpdesk often can't be bothered to tell the user that he should
> restore a backup, the corrupted file gets escalated to me.
> The first thing that I always do, is open the corrupted file in
> LibreOffice and save as an MS Office file, with a new name.
>
> The result is usually a smaller file, without the corruption.
> Sometimes even without those pesky passwords, because LibreOffice
> isn't compatible with MS Office passwords: it simply ignores them! ;-)

As you have done so often in the past, I'd just like to point out that
this thread has little to do with:
"Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"

     ;-]

Here's a thought; maybe LibreOffice has a support mailing list.
...or web forum.
...or newsgroup.

or, just possibly, you could take it to the off-topic ubuntu list,
Sounder.

...waitaminute...

Nevermind.

Cybe R. Wizard