Fully compatible with Microsoft Office?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon May 2 23:26:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, April 29, 2011 15:34, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Dotan Cohen schrieb am 29.04.2011 14:56:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 21:46, Ioannis Vranos
>> <cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr> wrote:
>>> Actually it is the MS Office side that is problematic (secret formats).
>>>
>>> As someone posted it here before:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
>>>

>> Strawman. The Ubuntu site says that it is 100% compatible. I don't
>> care who is to blame. The software is not 100% compatible.
>
> ACK. And OOo/Libre Office lacks one very important part of MS
> Office: Outlook. Don't misunderstand me---I don't like MS Office but
> I'm forced to use at least Outlook at office. Furthermore every
> PowerPoint presentation sent to us by speakers was distorted by OOo.

Word, Excel and Powerpoint are the only 3 programs in the MS Office suite
that can create real documents. I'm not counting Access because a database
is not  a document.

You don't make documents with Outlook, you use it for email. Every email
item you create is saved inside the message store, a .PST file or on an
Exchange server. I don't use it myself, but it is my impression that
Evolution has a feature set that is very similar to Outlook. Correct me if
i'm wrong.