Unity ROCKS!!!

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at fastmail.us
Mon May 2 17:11:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 12:37 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

< wise talk from Liam snipped>

> So that is what Ubuntu is doing: a simple, clean,
> not-very-customisable desktop with influences drawn from Mac OS X,
> iOS, Android and some of the existing Windows-like controls and
> methods.
>
> It's not meant to convert existing users. It's meant to bring new
> people to Ubuntu by making it simple and accessible and
> easily-learned. Remember it came from netbooks, simple internet-access
> devices rather than full-function PCs.
>
> Don't bother asking in what ways it improves on GNOME 2. Instead, ask
> if it's a good interface *in itself.*

All true.  I can only add that they're obviously trying to develop an
interface that works the same or similarly on all sorts of devices, not
just desktop PCs.  This could be a huge advantage and flatten learning
curves in the future.

Anybody have a Win7 phone?  Does the interface there have anything to do
with the Win7 interface?

I may stay with the more-or-less classic GNOME style that the Mint folks
will be offering for day-to-day work but that's more because we support
a number of naive users and found that its just easier to have everyone
using the same thing. Converting everyone to Unity seems daunting right
now. I think (for good or ill) that it's the wave of the future and we'd
all better try to surf it at least a little.

--
pongo pan
Aurelius up 3:36, 2 users, load average: 3.41, 3.50, 3.53