Recover from system down status

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 2 16:15:37 UTC 2011

On 05/01/2011 11:54 AM, PIYUSH SINGH wrote:
> hi
> i was upgrading my system from 10.10 to 11.04 then suddenly the power went
> down and my system got switched off .
> now the root file system is not being mounted either manually or if i try to
> recover it it's mounted with only a read only status even with root account
> .
> The system specs are
> Compaq presario Cq45-207tu notebook
> with intel dual core processor .
>
> Please help i cannot format the filesystem as i have important documents in
> it .

A few things to try:

1. Boot to Recovery mode and run the dpkg option. See if that cleans it
up for you. If not, then using the Recovery mode menu change to root
with networking & change the permissions there. You may have to change
the /etc/apt/sources.list back to only maverick references if it still
retains the natty references.

2. If all else fails, you can do an in-place reinstall. Using a liveCD,
select to install & manually configure your install. Select the existing
partition & be sure to NOT format. If you need detailed instructions on
how to do an in-place reinstall post back - but my first recommendation
would be to try #1.