Unity ROCKS!!!

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Mon May 2 12:01:07 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 02/05/2011 10:52, G. wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> snip
>>> Problem with Unity that I've not found workarounds for :
>>>
>>> 1) Menues. Unity makes it easy to launch the few apps you lanch every
>>> day. But when you want one that isn't a commonly used app, you have to
>>> go through all kinds of hoops. Menues with hierarchies were much simpler
>>> for that. So Unity great for everyday user. Not so much for power user
>>> who uses many apps...
>> Try right clicking on 'applications' icon.  When I do this it gives
>> the familiar list of categories of applications.  Does that solve the
>> problem?
That works... sort of. Let's say it gets me half way there. :) Thanks!
>>> 2) Top-bar panel applets. How do I add applets to the top bar? I have a
>>> server for which I want to monitor CPU and disk temperatures... How do I
>>> install an equivalent of GNOME Sensors Applet in the Unity top bar?
>> I added a temperature applet from the Applications menu.  Can not find
>> one for CPU temps yet anyway.
> Found an app in Synaptics called Computer Temp. Installed it and can
> not find where to activate it.

OK. Got to the end of that one. What happens is that Unity doesn't
support GNOME applets. Same thing, GNOME 3 won't support applets. Unity
has an API called "Indicators" (the things on top right of the screen in
what in another life is called system tray)... Indicators live there.

Indicators is a very new concept. I.e. not many available.

You can, for example, in Synaptics, look for "indicator-weather". You
install it. Nothing happens. Then you go to the applications menu and
type weather and there it is. Launch it and you get the config menu.
Then it is active. Nice. I want more indicators. I want GNOME Sensors
ported to Indicators API!

Gilles.