Aptitude--any users!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:13:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 23:32, James Freer <jessejazza at googlemail.com> wrote:
> In other words what i've thought with aptitude isn't quite the case so
> use purge. So what i read in the Ubuntu Linux Bible wasn't correct.

I don't know what the ULB says, but you have purge in apt-get as well
as in aptitude.

> So what was the situation regarding apt-get. Autoremove seems to
> remove dependencies but not config files [or at least not all]. Does
> purge in apt-get remove ALL - if so why was autoremove developed.

Do you want to remove dependencies, too? Let me know what you want to
remove, or check the man page. It is very detailed and an easy read in
this particular case.

> Sorry if i seem dim but when one reads manuals i don't recall anyone
> saying use Purge for both aptitude and apt-get. It seems at good idea
> to keep one's system clean.

I like to keep config files, the entropy is worth having the files
later if I reinstall an application.

That said, I always use aptitude, not apt-get. Upgrades and dependency
hell are handled much better.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il