GRUB broken during upgrade to 11.04

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun May 1 18:38:58 UTC 2011

On 05/02/2011 02:11 AM, Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Yesterday I tried a test-machine with Ubuntu 10.10 and the urgrade to
> 11.04 worked fine. Then, I upgraded one of my operational computers, and
> since I cannot start that computer anymore:
> error: symbol not found: 'grub_env_export'
> Then display "grub rescue>"
> I found a lot of information on how to rebuild grub: nothing worked!
> Is someone experiencing the same problem, and if so, did someone found a
> solution?
> Thanks for the help!
> Freddy

Freddy, try this.....

grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,x)/boot/grub
grub rescue> insmod (hd0,x)/boot/grub/normal.mod
grub rescue> normal

When you get a normal grub prompt (grub>)
grub> configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Notes:
o  (hd0,x) is ubuntu partition, 'x' is a number
o  assume /boot is in /
    otherwise use the right path..like /grub/grub.cfg    etc.

Regards - Goh Lip
ps: I'll send a second message if normal mode doesn't work
     (that would be linux mode)