permissions issue I think , is a problem again

G. pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Sun May 1 13:57:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 04/30/2011 02:48 AM, G. wrote:
>>>
>>> I installed Ubuntu 11.04.  Can not access the files on the Data
>>> partition.  I tried sudo chown as above without success.  If from
>>> terminal I do sudo nautilus I can change permissions on a folder but
>>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> That is exactly why your ~/.ICEauthority is screwed up. Use 'gksudo
>> nautilus' *not* 'sudo nautilus'. This has been discussed on this list
>> several times in the past.
>>
>> Delete your /home/<user>/.ICEauthority and reboot. A new ~/.ICEauthority
>> will be created on reboot.
>>

>> --
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> It screwed up before used I sudo nautilus.  But maybe sudo nautilus
> keeps messing it up.  I have not been able to delete it though, file
> not found.  I will try again.
>

> garyk

I got past the ICEauthority issue but erase and reboot did not work
(again for the 5th time).  I did it by doing an inplace install of
11.04,using notes from a previous conversations.  (I tested on another
partition where it seems to be working fine still.)  I still get the
usr/lib/libconf2-4/gonfi-santity-check-2 exit with status 256 on the
partition in question.  i have tried a number of solutions for this
problem too without success.

I hate to take a lot of everyone's time on this.  I can easily install
10.11 or 11.04 on the partition in question and be done with it.  i
would like to rescue my setup if possible though.  S

Thanks

garyk