Explain to me again why Unity is so great...

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Sun May 1 11:03:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:32:16 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:

[...]
> It's clear the Canonical design team believe that GNOME isn't
> what they want for Ubuntu. As a result they've developed something they
> believe is right for desktops, laptops and potentially touch devices.
> It's certainly (IMO) a brave decision to make.
>
> I've seen a number of people say they're leaving Ubuntu as a result of
> switching to Unity by default, I think that's a somewhat short-termist
> view.

Certainly not. For people who prefer Gnome, switching to a different
distro is the right long-term decision.

> We can't 'win' this 'game' making short term decisions. I'm
> personally sticking it out, filing bugs, making recommendations (for
> what they're worth) and supporting people running Ubuntu + Unity.

This not a game, and it's not about winning or losing.

If you prefer Emacs to Vim, you don't stick with Vim and file
recommendations until it resembles Emacs. You just switch to Emacs.
Why would it be different for desktop environments?

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com