How can I know to which ubuntu package does a specified file (not on my fs) belongs?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 31 22:11:07 UTC 2011

On 03/31/2011 02:42 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Fingered it out... 'sudo' :-)
>>
>> $ sudo apt-file search gnome-default-applications.xml
>> capplets-data:
>> /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/gnome-default-applicatio
>> ns.xml
>
> IMHO it should work without sudo. On my Lucid machine it works for a
> user who is not in the groups adm or admin. Only updating the database
> is restricted to root.

No idea why it doesn't.
$ groups
gg adm disk dialout fax cdrom floppy tape audio dip video plugdev
scanner vboxusers netdev lpadmin powerdev admin fuse saned sambashare

But poking around launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt-file/+bug/620463
[If run "sudo apt-file update" only, run apt-file without sudo display
nothing]
It appears that I'm not the only one with the issue. Maybe the changelog
from lucid to maverick:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt-file/2.4.0

$ apt-cache policy apt-file
apt-file:
  Installed: 2.4.0
  Candidate: 2.4.0
  Version table:
 *** 2.4.0 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

According to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt-file/+bug/508089
you should be able to even run '$ apt-file update' without 'su/sudo'.

I'll try on another system and/or purge & reinstall on this one.