Reading CD & DVD discs => "Error File not found."

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:57:03 UTC 2011

On 31 March 2011 02:59,  <jimkvg at 3web.com> wrote:
> Thank you Colin.
>  Yes, indeed, I got it.  I created a new user and then entered it.  It came
> out ok.  Yes, indeed, when I clicked 'Home folder' and then 'Desktop', it
> opened up ok.  No more 'Error:  File not found.'  Now what?  I do not want
> to leave my original user's place because it isn't fixed yet.  Otherwise, it
> would confuse me more if I try to transfer everything what is in it to the
> new user's place.  How do I do that?  What more I am asking myself a
> question, "What would happen if the similar problem would happen again in
> the new user's place because it happened unexpectedly in my original place?
>  And then I could not fix it."  I need to know how to fix it.
>  Can I use Nautilus Actions Configuration to fix the problem?  I am still
> learning.  Jim

I did not reply to this the first time as I had previously asked that
you follow the lists convention on not top posting, and in addition
you had not even quoted the appropriate bits of the previous message.
However...

You have now confirmed that it is not a system wide problem but is to
do with that particular user's setup and so will likely be something
that has got damaged in a file in your home folder, probably one of
the hidden configuration files/folders (beginning with dot).

As far as what to do about it, do you keep a full backup of your home
folder?  Is so then you can replace the entire folder from the backup
(obviously take a new backup first so that you can restore any work
that you have done in the meantime).

Otherwise I am afraid I do not know.  Anyone else?

Colin