unable to start apache as process/dameon

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 30 11:22:18 UTC 2011

On 30 March 2011 12:11, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is one thing I found which made all things work I found in
> /etc/init.d/ directory there are following files apache apache2.1 and
> apache2.2 I remember long time back when I had installed it was only
> apache but surprisingly I find these two files apache2.1 and apache2.2
> also. Now when I did /etc/init.d/apache2.2 start then it started
> working but I correctly remember I had not created apache2.1 or
> apache2.2 or apache either so what could be the reason for existence
> of 2 more files apache2.2 and apache2.1 apart from apache I was trying
> to start service apache2 start and it was not working until I went to
> /etc/init.d/ directory and noticed the presence of 3 files with name
> apache and using one of them had worked.

I think you would save both yourself and others a significant amount
of time if you kept better notes on what you have done to each of your
machines.  I find Tomboy Notes useful for this.  This is not the first
time that you have asked for help and it turned out that the machine
was not setup the way you remembered it was.

Colin