Hostname configuration on DHCP/DNS server: /etc/hosts vs. /etc/hostname

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Mar 30 09:05:42 UTC 2011

Le 30/03/2011 09:44, Chris G a écrit :

> No, but my 'server' is also my desktop machine, it's on a small home LAN
> and is the web and news server for the LAN and is also visible from the
> outside world as a web server - mostly for my own convenience so when
> I'm out and about I can get to the web pages on my home server where I
> store all sorts of useful information that I have collected over the
> years.
>
> I do also have an Ubuntu Server installation on one of the other
> machines as that is headles and doesn't need a GUI.
>
> BUT running a machine as a server with apache etc. on it doesn't
> necessarily mean that it doesn't have a GUI as well.

Yeah, I know. I've also been running a web server on my home desktop for
a few years. Only lately I prefer putting everything on a dedicated
no-frills-no-GUI machine ( = dedicated server).

The minimalism of my install is just part of a personal security policy.
The less packages are installed, the less a potential attacker can get a
grip on. Everytime I take a peek in my logfiles, I now that being a bit
paranoid about security seems like a sane state of mind in this business.

Cheers,

Niki