automatic update want to remove packages

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Mar 30 07:58:20 UTC 2011

On 25/03/11 16:18, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/25/2011 04:39 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> I have a problem with update.
>> I wanted to install libreoffice from the repositories but synaptic
>> wanted to remove my openoffice installation before it installed
>> libreoffice and I wanted to have both in parallel.

> Did you remove the repository from sources.list? That would be the only
> thing that I can think of as I run multiple versions of OOo and LO at
> the same time w/o issue:
> $ locate versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc. I didn't remobve
> /opt/ooo-dev/basis3.2/program/versionrc
> /opt/ooo-dev/basis3.3/program/versionrc
> /opt/ooo-dev/basis3.4/program/versionrc
> /opt/ooo-dev/ure/bin/versionrc
> /opt/ooo-dev3/program/versionrc
> /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.2/program/versionrc
> /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.3/program/versionrc
> /opt/openoffice.org/ure/bin/versionrc
> /opt/openoffice.org3/program/versionrc
> /usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
> /usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

Jerry,
Sorry for the delay in reply. My versionrc shows:
$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

So not much different from yours. My sources.list doesn't contain a
libreoffice ppa or openoffice ppa as I assume the latter is contained in
the universe or multiverse lists.
It also won't update the libreoffice packages (although more recent
versions are available) as it want to remove openoffice.
I cannot imagine that Oracle can influence Canonical or that the
developers of libreoffice ask for this.
I cannot imagine why my 10.10 shows this behaviour.
Joep