Installing Ubuntu Server on HP ProLiant DL140 w/o CD

Jeff Lane jeff at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 29 17:24:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:19, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > So I don't need SmartStart ?
>>
>> I don't know that you do, if you're using it in your Infrastructure
>> already, then it may be better to use that.
>
> No, I have never used SmartStart before. Someone said that HP severs have
> security issue and need SmartStart to install OS'es, but I don't know how
> true this is, might just be FUD.

Right on...

FWIW, we have a whole slew of various HP servers that are tested
without using SmartStart (they're all installed via normal PXE)
including a pair of DL140 G3s.  Of course, take that with a grain of
salt as there could be hardware differences, so YMMV.  I've seen
instances where things change, like RAID controllers and so forth that
affect whether or not you can install at all, let alone via PXE.

Maybe the SmartStart requirement is for situations where your servers
have some sort of TPM enabled? (Trusted Platform)