HELP No network icon showing

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Mar 29 13:23:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 09:12:11PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 05:37 PM, Pat Brown wrote:
> > I have Ubuntu 10.04 and have had it for a few months. When I'm at home I get
> > my wifi connection okay, 2 other places I go it finds and connects to them,
> > but now the icon on the top panel that let you see those connections has
> > vanished. Right now my daughter has borrowed the laptop and wants to
> > connect, but I can't point her to any way to connect. Where can she find
> > this?
> >
> > I don't understand why it disappeared. It was there until about a month ago.
> > The only new things on it are regular updates.
>
> Right click on the top panel and select: Add to Panel
> Then select 'Notification Area' click 'Add' and 'Close'.
>
> Note: it could also be that you have the applet on the panel and just
> can't see it. Try moving some of the applets around - the NA applet is
> difficult to see (represented by two vertical dotted lines).

There are some circumstances where although Network Manager is installed
(and running) the NM applet icon won't appear in the Notification Area.

For example if a system has a static IP set up in /etc/network/interfaces
the NM applet won't appear.  I'm not sure what other things might
prevent it showing.

--
Chris Green