Desktop clients and NetworkManager

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Mon Mar 28 12:57:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm regularly setting up SOHO networks. One of the first things I do
after installing a desktop is remove all the unneeded cruft. Before
Ubuntu, I've been using mainly a personal mix of CentOS and Fedora.

I'm considering removing the NetworkManager to keep only a "traditional"
network configuration, e. g. one DHCP server, and then only dhclient and
the according stanza in /etc/network/interfaces.

I wonder if there's something to gain by it (as in: one service less,
more transparent configuration, more KISS-like configuration) Any advice
on this?

Cheers from my little South French village,

Niki