installing eclipse 3.6 on ubuntu 10.10?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sun Mar 27 16:14:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, March 27, 2011 16:27, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> if i get ambitious, i *could* install eclipse 3.6 independently from
> the release tarballs but that's messier than i really want to get.

Eclipse is one of those very few programs where I don't bother with the
"proper" Debian/Ubuntu way of installing software. Neither should you.
I just download the .tar.gz, extract to /home/amedee/eclipse, and start it
with /home/amedee/bin/eclipse, which is a 3 line shell script:

#!/bin/bash
export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0
/home/amedee/eclipse/eclipse

UBUNTU_MENUPROXY is needed because of bug 613119:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eclipse/+bug/613119 otherwise
Eclipse's menu won't work in Unity.

--
Amedee